The results of OMREB's SEPTEMBER 2013 Buyers Survey arenow in and posted! A total of 261 respondents participated in this survey – representing 67% of the 390 OMREB sales representatives who acted as Buyers Agents, and 42% of the 625 deals closed on behalf of Buyers in September.
SEPTEMBER SURVEY SUMMARY
22.4% of purchases were by Move-Up Buyers (down from 25.4% as in August)
20.4% by First Time Buyers (up from 17.3%)*
13.7% buying Recreation Property (up from 11.2%)*
12.5% moving from Single Family Home to Strata Unit (up from 13.5%)*
8.6% buying Revenue/Investment Property (same as August)
3.9% moving into Retirement Home/Seniors Community (down from 6.5%)
3.5% moving from Strata property to Single Family Home (same as August)
* During the month of September, there was an increase in purchases by first-time buyers, recreation property buyers and home owners downsizing to strata units and retirement communities, while move-up buyers and those moving to retirement communities saw a drop from the previous month or remained the same.
Buyer Type (Family Dynamic):
26.8% Empty Nester/Retired (up from 20.1% in August)**
25.3% Two Parent Family/Children (same as August)
19.9% Couple without Children (down from 23.4%)
14.2% Single Male (up from 11.2%)**
10.7% Single Female (down from 13.8%)
3.2% Single Parent with Children (down from 4.5%)
** In September, there were more purchases by empty nesters-retirees and single males, and by single females and single parent families, while all other categories saw decreases or stayed the same.
46.9% from Within OMREB Board Area (down from 50.7% in August)
21.7% from Alberta (same as August)
12.0% from Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island (up from 9.0%)***
9.7% from Other Areas in BC (down from 10.8%)
5.0% from Saskatchewan/Manitoba (up from 3.4%)***
3.1% from Eastern Canada/Maritimes (up from 1.5%)***
1.6% from Outside Canada (up from 1.1%)***
0% from NWT/Yukon (down from 1.9%)
*** Compared to August, there were more buyers moving from the Lower Mainland, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, Eastern Canada and Maritimes, and outside Canada but less movement from within the Board area and fewer purchasers from other areas of BC during September.
SEPTEMBER 2013 RESULTS & HIGHLIGHTS:
* Full summary of survey results with pie charts
* This month's highlights
* Who is Buying Homes in the Okanagan-Shuswap? hand-outfor October
2011-2013 PIE CHARTS – Plus 2010-2013 Averages:.
* 2013 pie charts for first 9 months (January through September) - showing averages compiled for all five Survey categories
* 2012 and 2011 pie charts to compare.